Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My settings are off

Again.

There are a couple places where I change my settings every time I reboot because they go back to default or something. I really need to change them permanently because these settings don't allow me to go into a couple boards I frequent. Its driving me crazy.

The weather cooled off really nice. I don't know how long it will last but I am glad to not be sticky with sweat and have irritable children to boot.

Speaking of children, today is their first official day of summer vacation. It actually feels like Saturday, we haven't gotten used to the time off yet. Already sister bear is finding brother bear's triggers and picking a fight. Its not even noon for pete's sake. We are taking this week to unwind and gear up for a yard sale...next week starts the official summer routine. I'll let you know what that is soon as I make a list.

Daily pet peeve.

Well they sent a robot to Mars. While I know how important it is, it seems like a waste right now. Think about it for just a second. Gas is over $4 a gallon. We have families going without decent food, schools who can't pay their teachers living wages and families without medical insurance. The government is putting a lot of money into the Space program, how many families could get insurance for an 1/3 of that money? Right now schools are getting out for the summer, and for many of those kids the school breakfast/lunch program is the only regular meals they get. What are they doing over the summer?
Now there's an argument about the parents/guardians should just get a job. There was a report on the news about our high number or out of work teenagers because laid off adults are taking all the jobs. Our minimum wage goes to $6.55 in July, it won't even be $7 until next summer. Can you imagine paying your bills and feeding your family on less than $7 an hour? I know it can be done, however with the housing market in the pits, adults having to take huge pay cuts and even teenagers not able to work spending money to visit Mars seems a bit excessive.
Taking classes to better yourself is an option. If you're lucky(and smart, and get financial aid) you can get out of community college in 3 semesters or less, but then you still have to find a job. However in the meantime, things need taking care of.

Yes the world is a mess. I can't say its a surprise tho, people have been predicting stuff like this for a while now. Its just getting used to the way things are getting our butts in gear and making permanent changes. But that whole Mars thing just rubs me raw when there are so many other important things.

2 comments:

Sheree said...

I am totally with you on the pet peeves.

Thursday's Child said...

I can see your point. But the trip to Mars has been years in the making. The money was spent long before the rise in gas prices. If they stopped it, it would just waste the money they'd already spent on it.

It does seem pointless when there are so many things needing money here on Earth, but their programs are years (even decades) in the making. It just wouldn't help anything.